An unoccupied North Toledo house under renovation was destroyed by a fire authorities believe was caused by a natural gas explosion in the basement early Wednesday, authorities said.
There were no injuries, according to the Toledo Fire Department.
Fire crews arrived about 2 a.m. and found the two-story wood frame house at 1108 East Manhattan Blvd. near Cecelia Avenue fully engulfed in flames, Battalion Chief Bill Hickey said.
Firefighters had the blaze under control by about 3:30 a.m., by which time it was a complete loss.
Chief Hickey believed the fire had started from a natural gas explosion in the basement. Damage was estimated at $40,000, he said.
The Lucas County Auditor s Web site lists the owner of the 1917 house as Berlyn J. Lawrence.
City workers razed the building by about 6 a.m., the battalion chief said.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.