Toledo Mayor Carty Finkbeiner and Police Chief Mike Navarre in a press conference in front of the Safety Building address the increase in violent crime.
Within one week, three Toledo men have been murdered.
And while their deaths are not related, they do share a commonality: No one has been arrested in their killings.
Toledo police Chief Mike Navarre along with Mayor Carty Finkbeiner yesterday announced a $5,000 reward in each case for information leading to the arrests of those responsible.
In addition to the recent homicides, the chief said gang violence has increased during the last several weeks. He said gang task force officers will step up patrols in neighborhoods with high gang activity. "We're not going to tolerate this type of activity," Chief Navarre said.
The most recent killing of 19-year-old Kenneth Kimble, of 721 Raymer Blvd., has been linked to gang violence. He was fatally shot after a fight at White and Idaho streets in East Toledo about 10:10 p.m. Friday, just outside the St. Thomas Aquinas Festival.
Witnesses told police five or six black males were on one side of the street, and about a dozen Hispanic males were on the other side before the shooting.
Deputy Chief Don Kenney said police believe several people at the festival may have witnessed the shooting, but left before police arrived.
Lt. Brad Weis, the gang unit's commander, said gang violence commonly increases during summertime. Police believe some of the violence could have occurred because the Ninja Club moved its headquarters into gang territory along the 1100 block of Broadway.
The deaths of David Babcock, 46, of 908 Kingston Ave., and Clyde Goetz, 53, of 614 Earl St., are not believed to be gang-related, Chief Navarre said.
Mr. Babcock was shot about 5:45 a.m. July 15 after he and another man appar- ently began arguing outside 812 Western Ave. Mr. Babcock was riding a bicycle to work when he was killed.
Mr. Goetz was found dead in a parking lot at the Weiler Homes in the 1000 block of Sisson Drive about 5:30 a.m. July 12. Police said he had been shot at least once in the chest and was found by his daughter after she heard gunshots.
Mr. Finkbeiner called the three men's deaths unnecessary and unacceptable.
"Toledo has been a low-crime city and measures will be taken to keep it that way," he said.
There were 13 homicides in the city last year.
There have been 11 so far this year, though one was classified as reckless homicide, and one man was killed in an act of self-defense.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.