A family was left homeless Monday when a fire of apparent accidental origin damaged their South Toledo home.
Four people had escaped unhurt by the time fire crews arrived about 3:05 a.m. at 564 South Ave. and saw smoke and flames coming from the two-story, wood frame house, according to the Toledo Fire Department.
Firefighters had the blaze under control by 3:46 a.m. The American Red Cross assisted the family with accommodations, firefighters said.
A preliminary probe indicated the fire started accidentally, but arson investigators were called to ensure the ruling was correct, fire Lt. Mike Armstrong said. A fire damage estimate was unavailable.
The county auditor’s Web site lists Harold Kohler as the house’s owner. It was built in 1902.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.