MONROE — A 66-year-old man was found dead early Sunday after a fire swept through his Frenchtown Township home, authorities said.
Robert Selvidge was found in the house at 82 Kessler Dr., according to the Michigan State Police. The township fire department responded to the fire just off North Monroe Street about 4 a.m.
Chief Mark Nicholai said 911 calls to report the fire included information about a person possibly trapped inside the single-family house, which was engulfed in flames and had heavy smoke when firefighters arrived.
Mr. Selvidge was found after crews extinguished the flames and were able to get inside the house to search it.
The body was taken to the Wayne County Medical Examiner for an autopsy. Chief Nicholai estimated the damage at $150,000. The cause of the fire hasn't been determined.
- Officials investigate Monroe apartment fire
- Nellie D. Edwards; 1944-2014: Investigator fought for fair housing
- Curtis J. Cotton; 1938-2014: Rogers principal played semipro football
- Crews remain on scene at fire in Swancreek Twp.
- Karl A. Friend [1941-2014]; Civil War inspired B.G. teacher