A 19-year-old Maumee man is dead after diving into shallow water from a pontoon boat in the Maumee River off Walbridge Park in South Toledo, the Lucas County coroner's office reported.
Drew Cleghorn died at the University of Toledo Medical Center, formerly Medical College of Ohio Hospital, after the incident Friday afternoon, said Dr. Diane Barnett, a deputy county coroner.
Mr. Cleghorn was with friends and family aboard the boat when he decided to dive off and went head first into two feet of water, the deputy coroner said. She said that although an autopsy won't be done until Monday, X-rays revealed multiple neck fractures believed to have occurred when his head hit the river bottom.
Alcohol is considered a factor in the accident. Dr. Barnett said Mr. Cleghorn's blood-alcohol content was 0.2 percent at the time of his death, 2.5 times the legal limit to operate a boat or motor vehicle.
- David Baker: 1977-2015; Public defender in juvenile court played football
- Richard Smith: 1930-2015; Bostwick exec had family ties to city firm
- Robert Greene: 1959-2015; Chef at Tamaron Country Club led meals for seniors
- Group to plant 282,313 trees, shrubs in Toledo
- 15 area Wendy’s get new owner