Loading…
Saturday, December 20, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Tuesday, 6/26/2012

Fire destroys North Toledo home

BLADE STAFF

A fire destroyed a North Toledo home this morning when a man apparently fell asleep while smoking a cigarette.

The fire at 2309 Chestnut St. was dispatched at 8:14 a.m., said fire Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld.

When crews arrived, “fire was rolling out the front,” Lieutenant Hertzfeld said.

The lieutenant said there was a smoke detector inside the home, but it had been disconnected. The man inside the home, whose name was not immediately available, did not report any injuries.

The fire also damaged a neighboring house, Lieutenant Hertzfeld said.

The house, valued at $14,200, was built in 1900 and is owned by Mary Gearhart of the same address, according to Lucas County auditor records.

A damage estimate was not available this morning.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories


Points of Interest