BRADNER, Ohio -- Damage was estimated at $150,000 from a fire that destroyed a log home early Wednesday.
Bradner Fire Chief Jim Smith said firefighters were called to the home of Allen and Michele Halfhill on Sandusky County Road 45 about 6:45 a.m. They found the two-story house fully engulfed in flames.
Chief Smith said the Halfhills, who own the Pisanello's Pizza shop in Bradner, were asleep when the fire began but were awakened by smoke and the sound of a smoke detector and escaped before firefighters arrived. In addition to Bradner, firefighters from Risingsun, Kansas, and Helena responded along with tankers from Gibsonburg and Wayne.
Chief Smith said it appears the fire started in a ceramic fireplace on the front porch.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.