Authorities are investigating the shooting death of a 66-year-old Toledo man Wednesday night in the central city.
Investigators were told that the man was sitting with a few friends at an abandoned building in the 700 block of Vance Street about 6:40 p.m. when a handgun fell out of his pocket and fired as he got up, hitting him in the chest. He was taken to Toledo Hospital.
The man, identified as Phillip McDowell, 66, of Kensington Road, was pronounced dead at 7:21 p.m., said Steve Kahle, a Lucas County coroner's investigator. An autopsy was scheduled for today, said Dr. James Patrick, Lucas County coroner.
- Keith Clyde Anderson (1939-2015): Educator coached high school sports, mock-trial contests
- Mother of 4 assisted in family’s city florist shop
- Psychiatrist led classes at MCO, assisted elderly
- Harry Freeman: 1929-2015; Hancock Co. agent advised area farmers
- Rose Marie Lonsway (1944-2015): Social worker helped elderly, fought abortion