Loading…
Thursday, July 10, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Tuesday, 7/17/2012

Neighbors save man, dog from house fire

Monroe Twp. home is struck by blaze

BLADE STAFF

MONROE -- Neighbors rescued a Monroe Township man from his home after it caught fire early Monday.

Monroe city fire officials said township and city crews responded to a house fire in the 3200 block of South Custer Road fire about 3 a.m., but they did not provide further details.

Township fire officials could not be reached.

Two nearby residents, Tom Millsaps and Eric Dover, helped rescue the house's occupant, identified as Keith Jones, by pulling him through his bedroom window, said Mr. Millsaps' wife, Mary, who was also present.

Mr. Jones was taken to Mercy Memorial Hospital. A hospital spokesman had no information on a patient by that name.

"He dove halfway in the window and found him there," Mrs. Millsaps said.

Mr. Millsaps, a Monroe firefighter and paramedic, awoke after smelling smoke in the middle of the night, said his wife, and he rushed to investigate the situation, along with his family and Mr. Dover.

Mr. Jones' dog -- a white, 15-pound mixed-breed named Buster -- was also saved, she said.

Mr. Millsaps and Mr. Dover could not be reached for comment.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories