Loading…
Saturday, November 01, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Tuesday, 12/4/2012 - Updated: 1 year ago

Family left homeless after Old South End house fire

BLADE STAFF
A duplex at 1444 Colton St. is engulfed in flames. A duplex at 1444 Colton St. is engulfed in flames.
THE BLADE/AMY E. VOIGT Enlarge | Buy This Photo

Four people, including two small children, were left homeless after a fire destroyed their home in Toledo's Old South End.

Howard Thorton, 47, said he lived in the house in the 1400 block of Colton Street, near Spencer Street, with his girlfriend, Latasha Bell, and his two children, Hayden Thorton, 1, and Kelly Thorton, 5.

The fire was dispatched at 9:51 a.m., said Toledo fire Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld. He added that the fire was knocked down in about 10 minutes.

Mr. Thorton said he and his family were sleeping when they were awakened by the sound of smoke detectors. The fire, he said, started on the front porch and the flames were so heavy the family had to flee out of the back door.

Everyone got out safely, he said.

Mr. Thorton believes the fire started because of an electric heater that was on the front porch, although fire officials had not made a determination at about 11 a.m. today.

The Red Cross was called and planned to provide the family food, shelter, and clothing.

An adjacent home was also damaged by the flames.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories


Points of Interest