Tuesday, October 13, 2015
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Wednesday, 12/5/2012

Family of 4 homeless after south-end fire


Four people, including two small children, were left homeless after a fire destroyed their home in Toledo’s south end.

Howard Thorton, 47, said he lived in the house at 1454 Colton St., near Spencer Street, with his girlfriend, Latasha Bell, and his two children, Hayden Thorton, 1, and Kelly Thorton, 5.

A fire crew was dispatched at 9:51 a.m.; the fire was knocked down in about 10 minutes, Toledo fire Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld said.

Mr. Thorton said he and his family were awakened by the smoke detectors. Everyone got out safely, he said.

The house sustained $25,000 in damages, Lieutenant Hertzfeld said, and was ruled an accident that started when an electrical cord to a space heater in the enclosed front porch overheated because the leg of a couch was on it.

The Red Cross planned to provide the family with food, shelter, and clothing.

Recommended for You

Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories

Points of Interest