Four people, including two small children, were left homeless after a fire destroyed their home in Toledo’s south end.
Howard Thorton, 47, said he lived in the house at 1454 Colton St., near Spencer Street, with his girlfriend, Latasha Bell, and his two children, Hayden Thorton, 1, and Kelly Thorton, 5.
A fire crew was dispatched at 9:51 a.m.; the fire was knocked down in about 10 minutes, Toledo fire Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld said.
Mr. Thorton said he and his family were awakened by the smoke detectors. Everyone got out safely, he said.
The house sustained $25,000 in damages, Lieutenant Hertzfeld said, and was ruled an accident that started when an electrical cord to a space heater in the enclosed front porch overheated because the leg of a couch was on it.
The Red Cross planned to provide the family with food, shelter, and clothing.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.