Loading…
Monday, July 28, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Friday, 1/11/2013

Fire damages home in central Toledo

BLADE STAFF

 

A home in Toledo's central city was damaged in a fire Thursday night by a man who accidentally set a mattress on fire while looking to satisfy a sweet tooth.

The fire, reported at 11:29 p.m. at 2528 Ayers Ave., caused about $5,000 damage, said fire Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld.

The man was apparently using a lighter to look for candy under a bed when the mattress caught fire, the lieutenant said.

Toledo fire crews were called to another central city home today, at 625 Waverly Ave. at 2:42 a.m.

The fire, which will likely be ruled electrical, caused an estimated $25,000 damage, Lieutenant Hertzfeld said.

No one was home at the time of the fire; neighbors said people had recently moved in and appeared to be making renovations.

No injuries were reported in either incident.

 



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.