Loading…
Thursday, July 31, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Saturday, 2/23/2013

Jerusalem Township home destroyed in blaze started by lighting wood stove

Family was using gasoline to help light fire

 

A two-story house in Jerusalem Township was destroyed Saturday by a fire that began as residents used gasoline to help light a wood stove.

The owner of the house at 513 Club House Blvd., Barbara Pelfrey, was treated at the scene for flash burns, said Harold Stanton, the Jerusalem Township fire chief.

The fire began in the family room when gasoline spilled. As the fire spread, Ms. Pelfrey, her daughter, and two young sons and pets escaped.

Chief Stanton, responding to the scene, saw heavy smoke two miles away.

The Jerusalem Township fire department was assisted by the Allen-Clay Joint Fire District.

The fire was under control within 45 minutes, but firefighters remained on scene until about 8:55 p.m.

The house, built in 1923 according to Lucas County auditor's records, was a total loss.

 



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.