Loading…
Monday, September 22, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Wednesday, 5/8/2013 - Updated: 1 year ago

West Toledo family displaced, uninjured in house fire started by unattended candles

BLADE STAFF

A house fire today at 5328 Fleet Rd., in West Toledo was started by unattended burning candles, authorities said.

Lt. Matt Hertzfeld, Toledo Fire Department spokesman, said the fire started in a bedroom of the house about 5:30 p.m., after a teenager left candles burning on a dresser. The teenager, as well as an adult, were displaced. They were not home at the time of the fire. 

Damage to the property is estimated to be about $2,000, he said. Smoke damage throughout the house, as well as damage to the bedroom were found.

Lt. Hertzfeld said one firefighter was injured while the department was trying to extinguish the blaze. The firefighter was treated for minor injuries at Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center and released, he said.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories


Points of Interest