A West Toledo man who appeared to suffer burns over his entire body died Saturday in Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center.
Jamar Allen, 41, was pronounced dead at 3:55 p.m., said Dr. Diane Barnett, a Lucas County deputy coroner. An autopsy is pending.
Mr. Allen was seen smoking while carrying a gasoline-powered push lawn mower into the basement of 2550 Greenway St., an apartment building where he lived and was a maintenance worker, Dr. Barnett said. Witnesses heard a crash once he reached the basement, and then saw him engulfed in flames as he ran from the basement into the street.
Toledo firefighters responded at 10:44 a.m. to the Greenway address, where they found Mr. Allen in the street.
The blaze was confined to a concrete block room in the basement and caused less than $700 damage to the 12-unit, three-floor building, said Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld, fire department spokesman.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.