Health officials today asked residents near a fire at a recycling plant to stay inside their homes - as a precaution - while a fire burns at Stickney Recycling in North Toledo.
The announcement was made at news conference called by Toledo-Lucas County Health Department officials along with members of the state's and federal Environmental Protection Agency.
Officials say they've been monitoring the air and have not found dangerous levels of pollutants. But the request to stay in homes applies to those living in the area between Manhattan Boulevard, I-475, and Lagrange Street.
The Toledo Fire Department was dispatched to the business at about 6 a.m. today, according to spokesman Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld. The fire was contained to a 20-by-20-foot area holding large amounts of construction-demolition debris.
Lieutenant Hertzfeld said the department is unsure when or how the fire started, and he said it could smolder for days or weeks.
"It's kind of like burning a big pile of leaves," he said. "Sometimes it will flare up and other times it sits there and smolders."41.69331 -83.54322
Precautionary measure taken as fire burns at Stickney Recycling in N.Toledo.