The city of Maumee will save about $12,000 as a result of members of the administration forgoing a 2 percent pay raise in 2011.
In a letter to Mayor Timothy Wagener and council members, several directors and managerial personnel said the decision was unanimous.
The letter said that in the best interest of Maumee taxpayers, members of the administration met Dec. 22 to discuss the city's ongoing deficit.
The agreement to skip the increase was made at that meeting.
Submitting the letter were John Jezak, administrator/safety director, Joseph Camp, acting service director, Linda Wilker, acting finance director, John Arnsby, municipal prosecutor, Richard Monto, fire chief, Bruce Wholf, building/zoning inspector, and Robert Zink, police chief.
Council voted unanimously last week to amend the salary/compensation ordinance to reflect the decision.
Other city employees were still entitled to a 2 percent base wage increase, effective the first full pay period in 2011.
In other action, council agreed to authorize a $1,500 donation to the Safety Council of Northwest Ohio related to annual dues and program costs, similar to the city's past participation.
The safety council provides safety programs and training to local employers.
As a participating member, the city is eligible to earn two rebates, each for up to 2 percent of the city's annual workers' compensation premium, through an Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation program.
The city received checks for $4,782 for participating in safety council activities and $4,720 for reducing certain types of claims, Ms. Wilker said.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.