Loading…
Monday, July 28, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsState
Published: Thursday, 12/9/2010

Ohio urged to rely less on nursing homes

COLUMBUS — An advisory council says Ohio must look to alternatives to nursing home care to head off “unsustainable” increases in Medicaid costs.

In a report released Thursday, the state-appointed panel says Ohio must shift its focus to less expensive long-term care provided at home.

The Columbus Dispatch reports nursing home care for a Medicaid recipient costs taxpayers $4,300 a month, while a home-care services program costs the state about $1,400 per patient per month.

The report recommends that the state set a three-year goal to provide care at home for half of Ohioans over 60 who need long-term care. In 2009, 42 percent received home care, while the other 58 percent were in nursing homes.

———

Information from: The Columbus Dispatch



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.







Poll