Friday, Jul 29, 2016
One of America's Great Newspapers ~ Toledo, Ohio


Prosecutor: Cop error caused Detroit girl's death

Officer made key errors in raid that killed 7-year-old gir, official saysl

  • Police-Raid-Girl-Killed-2

    In this March court hearing are Detroit officer Joseph Weekely, right, and A&E producer Allison Howard, who was at the raid.


  • Police-Raid-Girl-Killed-3

    Family photo shows Aiyana Stanley-Jones, 7.



In this March court hearing are Detroit officer Joseph Weekely, right, and A&E producer Allison Howard, who was at the raid.


DETROIT — Armed with a shield and a submachine gun, a highly trained Detroit police officer made critical errors during a house raid that led to the fatal shooting of a sleeping 7-year-old girl, a prosecutor told jurors Monday.

There is no argument that an unintentional shot from Joseph Weekley’s gun killed Aiyana Stanley-Jones on May 16, 2010, as police stormed the home in search of a murder suspect. But the officer is on trial for involuntary manslaughter because authorities believe he was extremely negligent in failing to control his weapon.

Police, accompanied by a crew from the reality TV show, “The First 48,” fired a stun grenade into the home to cause confusion. Weekley, a member of the elite Special Response Team, was the first officer through the door — “the tip of the spear” — assistant prosecutor Rob Moran said in his opening statement to the jury.

“The flash grenade goes off: Boom!” Moran said. “He stands there. This is called the fatal funnel. You never stand in a doorway. Three seconds after the flash grenade detonates, his gun goes off and that’s when the fatal shot is fired.”


Family photo shows Aiyana Stanley-Jones, 7.


Aiyana was sleeping on the couch. Police have said Weekley was jostled by, or collided with, Aiyana’s grandmother, Mertilla Jones, causing the gun to fire. Prosecutors disagree.

“No one grabbed his gun. ... There was no struggle,” Moran said.

But Weekley’s attorney countered that this was what happened. In his remarks to jurors, Steve Fishman said Jones grabbed the gun after the grenade went off.

“He pulls back and his hand hits the trigger. ... It was an accident. It was not careless. It was not reckless,” the defense lawyer said.

He said Aiyana’s death was a “tragedy of the highest order,” but not a crime.

Fishman said Weekley was “completely despondent” and vomited when he learned the shot had killed the girl.

The jury will be shown video of the raid recorded by “The First 48,” an A&E Networks show that focuses on the early stages of homicide investigations. Jurors also will be taken away from the courthouse to see a demonstration of a stun grenade, which is loud, gives off a bright light and temporarily affects the hearing of people nearby.

Only three witnesses testified on the first day and none offered much about the circumstances behind the shooting. Aiyana’s mother, Dominika Stanley, had trouble controlling tears as she spoke to jurors. A “Hannah Montana” blanket used by her daughter that night was just a few feet away.

Stanley said police drove her to a hospital where doctors told her, “My baby didn’t make it.”

Fishman signaled that the credibility of Jones, the grandmother, would be a key issue at trial. He told jurors that she has given three different versions of what happened that night, including a claim that Weekley intentionally killed Aiyana.

Click to comment

Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem?

Temporibus autem quibusdam et aut officiis debitis aut rerum necessitatibus saepe eveniet.

Copyright © 2015 Toledo Blade

To Top

Fetching stories…