Saturday, February 06, 2016
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Friday, 5/23/2014 - Updated: 1 year ago

Steubenville superintendent accused of destroying evidence, lying in football rape case


CLEVELAND — The superintendent of the eastern Ohio district where two high school football players were found guilty of rape in a high-profile case last year wiped computer hard drives, erased emails and lied to investigators about his knowledge of the allegations against the boys, newly released court documents say.

The filing Thursday came in the case against Steubenville superintendent Michael McVey, 51, who has pleaded not guilty to felony counts of tampering with evidence and obstructing justice, and misdemeanor counts of falsification and obstructing official business.

The charges stem from an investigation of McVey’s actions after he learned of the allegations in 2012 made by a 16-year-old West Virginia girl against the two members of the storied Steubenville High football team, one of whom was the team’s quarterback. The teens eventually were found guilty in juvenile court and were sent to youth detention centers and classified as sex offenders.

The case drew national attention in part because of the role of texting and social media in exposing the attack, which led to allegations that authorities were covering up the actions of football players.

McVey is accused of misleading authorities about the school’s investigation into the rape allegations and concealing knowledge about rumors of sex and drinking at a teen party four months earlier.

The new filing alleges that he erased evidence that included emails and data on computer hard drives. McVey may have had someone wipe the hard drives for him, the document says.

McVey is on paid administrative leave. Calls seeking comment from his attorney today were not returned.

Three other people associated with the school and football team were charged along with McVey, including a volunteer coach who held a teen drinking party that August evening, and two elementary school principals who were accused of failing to report possible child abuse. All three pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges. The volunteer coach was sentenced to 10 days in jail; the two principals, one of whom served as the team’s strength coach, were ordered to perform community service.

Recommended for You

Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.