Jockeying for top spots jostled the standings in The Blade’s 2011 School Stock Contest with just two weeks remaining.
All of the top teams had smaller portfolios last week, the 10th week of the 12-week contest, but the “stocker” team from Christ the King Elementary School in Toledo maintained its lead with a total of $46,742.
Moving up a spot to second at $46,691 was the “JBNcrew” team from Anthony Wayne Junior High School, although its portfolio was down 1.1 percent. Rising into third was the “Martian” team from Whiteford Agricultural School, whose portfolio grew to $45,863, up 0.85 percent.
Dropping from second to fifth place was “Team BG” from Bowling Green High School. Its portfolio lost money for the second week and totaled $45,146, down 4.6 percent.
The Martian team — three students in teacher Jim Miller’s technology class — held first place the opening week of the contest but since fell out of the top three spots. But the team has managed to stay in the top 10 with slow, if unspectacular, gains.
Three of its stocks — The Andersons Inc., clothing retailers Abercrombie & Fitch Co. and American Eagle Outfitters — had small gains last week to keep the team moving upward while others lost money. The team’s fourth pick is food and restaurant giant Bob Evans Farms Inc.
“I’m glad to have a team that has just sort of hung around in the background and is making a move now,” Mr. Miller said. “The team’s portfolio is like the team itself: quiet, taking it easy, just riding the wave.”
The top team, stocker, has in its portfolio First Majestic Silver Corp., a Canadian firm that mines silver in Mexico, Verizon Communications Inc., media firm Viacom Inc., and defense contractor Northrop Grumman Corp.
The contest began at the market’s close Feb. 4 and ends at the market’s close April 29.
There are 106 teams from 30 schools in northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan competing. Each team selected four stocks, worth at least $5 a share, to make up its hypothetical $40,000 portfolio, with the investment initially divided evenly among the four choices. The team whose portfolio grows the most by the contest’s end wins.
STOCK CONTEST STANDINGS
1. stocker, Christ the King, Toledo, $46,741.82
2. JBNcrew, Anthony Wayne Jr., Whitehouse, $46,690.73
3. Martian, Whiteford Agricultural, Ottawa Lake, $45,862.74
82. gotCASH, St. Joan of Arc Catholic, Toledo, $38,190.82
83. BestofM, East Broadway Middle, Toledo, $38,037.18
84. Octopus, Rossford Jr., $38,032.63
85. Rockets, Park Elementary, Swanton, $38,030.90
86. Ninjas, Rossford Jr., $38,018.35
87. South Side, Fostoria Jr., $37,993.88
88. STOCKER, Bowling Green High, $37,972.97
89. StoxRox, Pike Delta York Middle, Delta, $37,972.97
90. TheTop, Anthony Wayne Jr., Whitehouse, $37,868.66
91. Mariners, Maritime Academy of Toledo, $37,796.99
92. MVClass, Christ the King, Toledo, $37,743.05
93. BAGFED, North Point ESC, Genoa, $37,742.10
94. Schwabs, Rossford Jr., $37,738.20
95. Stars, Park Elementary, Swanton, $37,666.47
96. KaXing, Pike Delta York Middle, Delta, $37,354.85
97. TEAM JO, Bowling Green High, $37,270.63
98. Dinaco, North Point ESC, Genoa, $36,708.86
99. SALTY06, Rossford Jr., $36,688.64
100. Comet 11, Genoa High, $36,675.83
101. Schooners, Maritime Academy of Toledo, $36,504.67
102. WHTFSU, Whiteford Agricultural, Ottawa Lake, $36,431.10
103. BGCALP2, Bowling Green Christian Academy, $36,075.77
104. Cash11, North Point ESC, Genoa, $35,892.76
105. Stockrz, Pike Delta York Middle, Delta, $32,721.97
106. BGHS72, Bowling Green High, $30,628.64
Recommended for You
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.
Copyright 2015 The Blade. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission.
Copyright 2015 The Blade. By using this service, you accept the terms of our privacy statement
and our visitor agreement. Please read them. The Toledo Blade Company, 541 N. Superior St.,
Toledo, OH 43660, (419) 724-6000
To contact a specific
department or an individual person, click here. The Toledo Times ®