IRVINE, Calif. -- Lithium-ion battery packs shipped with some Gateway Inc. notebook computers pose a fire danger, leading to a voluntary recall Tuesday by Gateway and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
The battery packs can overheat and pose a fire hazard, the commission said in a news release. Gateway has received four reports of battery packs overheating, including minor property damage.
No injuries were reported.
About 14,000 battery packs shipped as the primary or spare power sources for some Gateway 400VTX and 450ROG series notebooks, and identified by part number 6500760 or 6500761 were recalled.
The part number and "made by SMP" are printed on a label on the underside of the battery pack. This is not an internal battery cell defect, the commission said.
Read more in later editions of The Blade and toledoblade.com
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.