Toledo is on top of the MAC West rankings.
Blade/Kurt Steiss Enlarge
With the last week of the season upon us, here is one last regular season look at the Mid-American Conference West rankings:
1) Toledo (Last week: 1) – The Rockets were able to handle rival Bowling Green on the road and will host Western Michigan on Friday with a chance to go to the MAC championship game.
2) Northern Illinois (Last week: 2) – The Huskies topped Western Michigan 35-31 to stay alive in the MAC West race. NIU would need a win over Central Michigan on Friday and a Toledo loss to make it to Detroit.
3) Central Michigan (Last week: 3) – The Chippewas beat Kent State 42-23 last week and sit at 5-2 in the conference. Central Michigan can only play spoiler, because even if the Chippewas win and Toledo loses it would create a three-way tie for first and Toledo would go to the title game because of head-to-head wins over NIU and CMU.
4) Western Michigan (Last week: 4) – The Broncos suffered a tough loss at Northern Illinois and at 4-3 in the conference are left to try to play spoiler at Toledo on Friday.
5) Eastern Michigan (Last week: 5) – The Eagles finish 3-5 in the conference after a home win over Bowling Green on Tuesday night. It has been a disappointing season for EMU with a number of very close losses.
6) Ball State (Last week: 6) – It’s been a tough year for the Cardinals as they sit at 0-8 in the conference and just 2-10 overall and have been in this spot the whole season. They closed their season with a loss to Miami on Tuesday night.