Loading…
Friday, December 19, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsWorld
Published: Thursday, 6/21/2012

2 South Africans freed from captivity in Somalia

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Deborah Calitz, center-left, and Bruno Pelizzari, center-right, give a news conference accompanied by Somali Foreign Minister Abdulahi Haji Hassan, left, and Somali Defense Minister Hussein Arab Isse, right, at the presidential palace a few hours after Calitz and Pelizzari were released by their captors in Mogadishu, Somalia. Deborah Calitz, center-left, and Bruno Pelizzari, center-right, give a news conference accompanied by Somali Foreign Minister Abdulahi Haji Hassan, left, and Somali Defense Minister Hussein Arab Isse, right, at the presidential palace a few hours after Calitz and Pelizzari were released by their captors in Mogadishu, Somalia.
ASSOCIATED PRESS Enlarge

MOGADISHU, Somalia— A South African and Italian couple held hostage for 20 months after being kidnapped by Somali pirates have been freed, Somalia's defense minister said Thursday. The couple was among the longest-held by Somali pirates.

South African Deborah Calitz and Italian Bruno Pelizzari smiled but appeared exhausted at a news conference at the presidential palace in Mogadishu.

"We are very happy to get our freedom again," Calitz said, speaking haltingly. "We are so happy today and to join our families again."

The two were kidnapped in October 2010 from a yacht off the southeastern coast of Africa. Their pirate captors originally demanded a ransom of $10 million.

Kerri-Ann Cross, Calitz's 21-year-old daughter, said: "All I know is that she is safe. I am so happy." Cross, speaking by phone from Pretoria, South Africa, said she hadn't yet spoken to her mother by mid-day Thursday and didn't have any additional information.

The couple's 20-month captivity is among the longest periods hostages have been held by pirates. When Somali pirates first began attacking ships off East Africa in about 2005, they attacked large container ships. But as those vessels improved their on-board defenses, pirates began attacking more vulnerable private yachts. An international flotilla of warships patrols waters off Somalia, leading to a decrease in pirate attacks over the last year.

Somali Defense Minister Hussein Arab Isse credited Somali security forces with helping with the couple's release, but he did not say that the pair had been rescued. He also declined to say if a ransom was paid. Most pirate hostage cases end with payment of multi-million dollar ransoms.

South Africa's government said it is gratified at the couple's release and expressed its gratitude to Somalia's government for helping with the release. South Africa also thanked the government of Italy for its role.

"Arrangements are being made for the return of the couple to South Africa," the South African statement said.

The European Union Naval Force says Somali pirates currently hold seven ships and 213 hostages. The EU force says 25 ships were hijacked last year, down from 47 in 2010. Only five ships have been hijacked in 2012, an indication that on-board defenses and the international patrols are succeeding against pirate attacks.

The EU Naval Force saw its mandate expand earlier this year and is now allowed to carry out attacks on the Somali coast against suspected pirates.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories