JOS, Nigeria -- Authorities in central Nigeria say a flood triggered by heavy rains killed at least 35 people.
Mnasseh Pampe, Red Cross chief in the state of Plateau, said Monday that several other Jos residents are missing and rescue forces expect the death toll to rise.
He said the floods washed away many homes in the area -- often built with mud -- displacing 200 residents.
- Mother of 4 assisted in family’s city florist shop
- Boko Haram kills 41, prevents voting
- Psychiatrist led classes at MCO, assisted elderly
- Harry Freeman: 1929-2015; Hancock Co. agent advised area farmers
- Rose Marie Lonsway (1944-2015): Social worker helped elderly, fought abortion