JOS, Nigeria -- Authorities in central Nigeria say a flood triggered by heavy rains killed at least 35 people.
Mnasseh Pampe, Red Cross chief in the state of Plateau, said Monday that several other Jos residents are missing and rescue forces expect the death toll to rise.
He said the floods washed away many homes in the area -- often built with mud -- displacing 200 residents.
- Kathleen Constance McHugh (1932-2015): Wife of late mayor of Toledo was reading specialist
- Boko Haram stones girls to death
- Nearly 300 rescued from Boko Haram
- LuAnne Taylor (1935-2015): Teaching never was ‘just a job’ for educator
- Richard C. Lawrence (1930-2015): Diner owner named in Obama speech