WASHINGTON — A top U.S. general says North Korea's plan to fire a satellite into space is really intended to show the world its capability to build missiles.
Pacific forces commander Adm. Samuel Locklear says that capability would be destabilizing to international security.
North Korea says it has only peaceful intentions. It plans to launch a rocket between Dec. 10 and Dec. 22.
The U.S. and its allies say they'll seek U.N. Security Council action if the launch goes ahead in defiance of existing resolutions.
Locklear said Thursday the U.S. is moving ships to the region to have the best “situational awareness” and to reassure allies.
He says North Korea has acquired better technology, but that it was unclear whether problems after a failed April launch had been corrected.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.