MEXICO CITY — A public security official says the death toll in a shootout during an attempted prison break in northern Mexico has risen to 22 people.
The official in Durango state says that the toll rose to 13 inmates and nine prison guards as some of the injured in the shooting later died of their wounds.
The official who updated the death toll today was not authorized to speak on the record.
Guards foiled a massive escape on Tuesday at the prison in Gomez Palacio city.
A statement from the public safety department says inmates tried to climb the prison's back walls. When guards fired into the air to stop them, inmates returned fire at the watchtowers and guard areas. Authorities said Wednesday they investigating how the inmates acquired the guns.19.43261 -99.13321
13 inmates, nine guards killed in shootout.
- Mexican drug lord had at least 18-minute head start
- Documents: U.S. agents knew of 'El Chapo' escape plot
- Drug kingpin "El Chapo" Guzman escapes from Mexican prison
- Mexico's top drug lord escapes prison again
- T-Mobile U.S. calling plans to cover Canada, Mexico