Loading…
Saturday, December 27, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsWorld
Published: Wednesday, 1/23/2013

2 more Japanese confirmed dead in Algeria crisis

Brings total to 9; 1 still missing

ASSOCIATED PRESS

TOKYO — An official says two more Japanese citizens have been confirmed to have died during a hostage crisis last week in Algeria, bringing the total number to nine. One Japanese worker remains missing.

The victims worked for a Japanese engineering company, JGC Corp., at a natural gas plant in the Sahara desert. Seven other Japanese workers for the company survived the hostage taking.

Islamist militants seized the gas field and held scores of foreigners from a number of countries hostage for four days until Algerian special forces stormed the plant on Saturday. Algeria's prime minister has said that at least 37 hostages and 29 militants were killed.

Chief Japanese government spokesman Yoshihide Suga said today that officials found the bodies of the two Japanese among a group of unidentified victims.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories