Loading…
Saturday, August 02, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsWorld
Published: Wednesday, 4/24/2013

93-year-old investigated for Nazi past

ASSOCIATED PRESS

BERLIN — A 93-year-old man who acknowledges he served with the SS in Auschwitz but claims he was only a cook is under investigation by German authorities as a possible accessory to murder.

Hans Lipschis was deported from the U.S. in 1983 for lying about his Nazi past when he immigrated there after the war. Thomas Will, a prosecutor with the German office that deals with Nazi war crimes, says a new investigation was only possible after the case of John Demjanjuk.

Demjanjuk was the first person convicted in Germany on the basis of serving as a camp guard, without evidence he was involved in a specific killing. He died last year while appealing his 2011 conviction.

Will said today that prosecutors are determining whether charges can be filed against Lipschis.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories