Loading…
Monday, September 22, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeBlogs
Published: Wednesday, 5/23/2007

A conclusive ending

Season finales are the most awesome thing ever, especially in reality TV world. The best part about the final episode on a reality TV season is that everything gets tied up in a neat little package. We find out the winners of the dancing, singing, and modeling competitions. The bachelor finds the love of his life (for a little while). The Donald hires the apprentice. Etc.

It s nothing like the season finales of dramas, which give viewers one cliffhanger after another to mull over all summer long until the next season begins in the fall. Take Grey s Anatomy, for example. (Yes, I know I am the reality TV blogger, but it s my blog nonetheless.) Is Christina ridiculously happy or deliriously depressed that Burke taken his most prized possessions and left their apartment after walking out on their wedding? Will George choose to be with his wife, Callie, or his best friend, Izzy? What will happen with Meredith and McDreamy now that the hot intern who was flirting with McDreamy at the bar now also works at the hospital? I NEED ANSWERS HERE, PEOPLE! It s just like I hope the Lost survivors get rescued every season and then somehow end up back on the island for more adventures.

Jordin Sparks sings on May 22 during the first half of American Idol's two-night season finale. Jordin Sparks sings on May 22 during the first half of American Idol's two-night season finale.
MICHAEL BECKER / AP Enlarge

But with reality TV, I need not worry about feeling clueless and irritated for three long months while finding other things to occupy my time. (Seriously, when American Idol is over, I m actually going to have my life back!)

In fact, I can even tell you right now that Jordin Sparks will be crowned the Season Six American Idol Wednesday night. How am I so sure? Because I watched the first half of the two-day season finale on Tuesday night. Obviously.

And I have others that back me up. Idol experts, if you will. Namely, my mom and Aunt Mary, who were watching the show with me and making such helpful and insightful comments that had nothing to do with singing whatsoever. It was mostly to criticize Blake s sense of style. It was so Seattle grunge, they said. And that glittery gold sweater vest? I m so sure someone actually wore that.

Blake Lewis, right, and American Idol host Ryan Seacrest on May 22. Blake Lewis, right, and American Idol host Ryan Seacrest on May 22.
MICHAEL BECKER / AP Enlarge

Then there was my dad, who makes every effort to avoid actually watching the show. Yet he s forced to listen because of the inconvenient fact that the living room is right next to the kitchen and he was hungry for dinner. So as I m trying to jot down comments about Judge Simon Cowell telling Blake that he didn t understand the hopping around he did onstage, I hear such comments from my dad as maybe he works at IHOP. Sigh. This is what I have to work with, people.

But anyway, Simon s comments were directed at Blake after he sang This is My Now, which is the song that won the Idol songwriting competition. Jordin then sang the same song. When two contestants do this, it s so much easier to compare the two. Blake s rendition was just so boring and plain while I could easily picture listening to Jordin s version on the radio tomorrow.

And how cute was it that she got all choked up while singing about how her time is now and looking up at the tiers of audience members? (That song is awesome, by the way. Kudos to the winners of the song writing competition! Love it!)

But I can t overlook Blake, who is awesome in his own right. I love, love, love it when he sings You Give Love a Bad Name and goes straight into those 16 measures of trading beat-boxing with the drums. Talk about entertainment! And I actually think I fell in love with him when he won the coin toss and got to choose whether he went first or second in the finals. He asked Jordin whether she wanted to go first, and after she immediately shook her head no, he volunteered to go first. What a sweetheart! Aww.

But it is a singing contest and the better singer deserves to win. I ll give Jordin a 75 percent chance of winning the competition and Blake the other 25 percent.

And I asked you who you thought would win, and boy did you guys have strong opinions even about people no longer in the competition! You can read about the results of who people living in northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan thought about the competition in Wednesday s paper or online under the arts/entertainment section.

Apolo Anton Ohno and his partner Julianne Hough performing on "Dancing With the Stars" on May 21. Apolo Anton Ohno and his partner Julianne Hough performing on "Dancing With the Stars" on May 21.
CAROL KAELSON / AP Enlarge

But onto Dancing With the Stars which needs a disclaimer, according to my dad, that reads does not actually contain any stars.

Come on, dad! Celebrities abound on that show! There s Ian Ziering, who I grew up watching as Steve on Beverly Hills, 90210! Then there s that guy who s in that one band and that woman who I think did some modeling.

Anyway, though I really liked Joey Fatone, the right couple took home the trophy Apolo Ohno and professional dance partner, Julianne Hough. They had more energy than that famous energizer bunny and when they were dancing, it was hard to tell which one was the pro and which was the amateur when they were onstage.

But now that the season finales are over or nearly over, it s time for season premiers! The first half of The Lot premiered Tuesday, featuring (drumroll, please) Jeff Seibenick, 31, a graduate of Perrysburg High School. He is now a freelance editor living in Los Angeles.

Jeff Seibenick Jeff Seibenick
Enlarge

The Lot is the Fox filmmaking competition television series where 50 semifinalists endure a Hollywood Boot Camp on the show from DreamWorks Television. Finalists will vie for a $1 million DreamWorks development deal. The second half of the show will continue on Thursday evening.

There will definitely be more on this in a later blog entry because it s nearly 1 on Wednesday morning and I need to rest up for the two-hour American Idol season finale later tonight!

Stay tuned.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.