LIMA, Ohio -- Akzo Nebel Chemicals, Inc., yesterday reported the spill of an undetermined amount of ethylenedaimine that has been contained on its Shawnee Township property.
The chemical company said it notified the township fire department, the Allen County Emergency Management Agency, and the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency.
The leak was discovered at 5:30 a.m., and the leak was contained at 7:34 a.m.
The chemical is used as a preservative in foods and can easily ignite. It can be toxic before its chemical properties are changed to permit its use in food products, county EMA chief Russ Decker said.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.