Ciao restaurant in Sylvania will be closed until the middle of next month as a result of an electrical fire yesterday that caused an estimated $30,000 damage.
Firefighters responding to an alarm at 2:15 a.m. found flames shooting from the roof overhang of the restaurant at 6064 Monroe St., Sylvania Township Deputy Fire Chief Ray Segur said.
They quickly extinguished the flames, then went inside and removed part of the ceiling to attack the fire in the roof. "It looks as if the fire started in the neon lighting on the outside of the building facing Monroe Street," Deputy Chief Segur said. The fire was brought under control in less than 30 minutes, but crews remained at the scene for three hours, he said.
A sign was posted saying Ciao will reopen next month. Representatives of Main Street Ventures, Inc., the restaurant's owner, did not return telephone calls seeking comment.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.