Loading…
Friday, July 25, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeHome
Published: Wednesday, 6/16/2004

Probe cites human error in fatal Wood County blast

SCOTCH RIDGE, Ohio - The home explosion that killed a 69-year-old handyman last month might have been caused by the man who was installing a water heater for a neighbor, according to a state fire marshal's investigator.

Dale E. Starkey died because he did not turn off the propane when he disconnected a line from the water heater, investigator Keith Loreno said. The explosion appeared to happen when Mr. Starkey lit a torch to connect copper pipe, Mr. Loreno said.

He found no evidence of criminal activity or of mechanical problems in the house that would have caused the explosion.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Points of Interest







Poll