The Blade's Road Warrior tells readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He'll tell you which spots to avoid and what detours to take.
Northbound I-280 will not be a good way for East Toledo and Oregon residents to get to West Toledo for the next two weeks.
Beginning early Monday, the ramp to southbound I-75 from northbound I-280 will be closed while it is shifted over to its newly rebuilt alignment. The detour will take motorists up northbound I-75 to Alexis Road, then reverse direction.
East side motorists may be better off using local streets to reach I-75 at Miami Street, then go north to reach I-475 for West Toledo and Sylvania.
Crosswalk construction that closed both Adams Street and Madison Avenue on the west side of Erie Street yesterday continues until the Monday morning rush hour. Use Washington or Jackson streets to reach the Michigan or 14th streets entrances to I-75.
1. I-280: Bridge construction at the Maumee River causes occasional daytime traffic stops up to 10 minutes in either direction between Greenbelt Parkway and Starr Avenue. A 35-mph speed limit is posted.
The northbound I-280 ramp to southbound I-75 will close at 5 a.m. Monday for realignment that will take two weeks to complete. The southbound I-75 ramp to southbound I-280 will be closed on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday nights next week, from 7 p.m. until 6 a.m. the next day, for overhead bridge demolition.
The northbound exit and southbound entrance at Greenbelt both are closed until the bridge opens, now scheduled for late 2006. Ash and Huron streets are closed at the freeway.
2. I-475: Bridge work reduces Holland-Sylvania Road to one lane in each direction at I-475. Nighttime lane closings are possible on I-475.
3. State Rt. 2 (Broadway): Bridge reconstruction restricts traffic to one lane in each direction between Logan Street and Segur Avenue in South Toledo through next week.
4. U.S. 24 (Detroit Avenue): Bridge repairs restrict traffic to one lane in each direction between Phillips and Collingwood through next week.
5. U.S. 20/State Rt. 105: Bridge and pavement repairs restrict U.S. 20 traffic to one lane each way through Woodville. Westbound Route 105 is closed at U.S. 20, and left turns from westbound U.S. 20 to eastbound Route 105 are not allowed. Detour via State Rt. 51.
6. State Rt. 64: Widening requires lane closings and flag zones on East Wooster Street between I-75 and downtown Bowling Green. Flag zones will be set up at times.
7. West South Boundary Street: Widening closes the road to through traffic between State Rts. 25 and 199 until late August. Use Eckel Junction instead.
8. State Rt. 25: Intersection work at Roachton Road reduces Route 25 to one northbound lane and restricts Roachton to westbound traffic only east of Route 25. Detour via State Rt. 199 and Eckel Junction. Expect delays on Route 25.
9. State Rt. 64: A culvert replacement will close the route between Reed Road and Sunshine Corners until tomorrow. Detour via U.S. 20A and State Rt. 295.
10. State Rt. 582: Deck repairs close the route at the bridge over I-75. Plan alternate routes to avoid using the long posted detours, which take Route 582 traffic down to Bowling Green on I-75, and westbound traffic up to Perrysburg. Route 582 will close west of State Rt. 25 on Monday for intersection work. Detour via State Rt. 64, Newton Road, and Route 25.
11. U.S. 20/State Rt. 120 (Central Avenue), McCord Road: Work associated with widening Central closes southbound McCord between Kelker Street. Several nearby side streets are closed at Central. Detour via King Road.
12. Erie Street: Bridge reconstruction closes the street between Collingwood and Hamilton until the end of August. A posted detour follows Collingwood and Nebraska.
13. Talmadge Road, Sylvania Avenue: Resurfacing and repairs require lane closings on both streets near their intersection. Delays are likely, especially during rush hours.
14. U.S. 23: A bridge replacement at the Portage River closes the road just south of State Rt. 105 near Pemberville through September. Detour via Routes 105 and 199 and U.S. 6.
15. U.S. 24/State Rt. 25 (Anthony Wayne Trail): Resurfacing requires lane closings between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m., except for the weekday morning rush toward Toledo and the evening rush toward Maumee. The work area extends from the Maumee-Toledo line to I-475/U.S. 23. Delays are likely.
16. U.S. 20, State Rt. 295: Turn-lane construction closes Route 295 on the south side of U.S. 20 through tomorrow. On Monday, Route 295 will close on the north side of U.S. 20. Detour via Fulton-Lucas and Sylvania.
17. State Rts. 65, 578: Repairs to the Providence-Grand Rapids Bridge close the bridge to northbound traffic for five weeks, starting Monday. The posted detour will follow State Rts. 65 and 109 and U.S. 24, which for Toledo-bound traffic is circuitous. But the alternate route, Route 65 east of Grand Rapids, is being repaved as far as State Rt. 235, requiring flag zones. Allow extra time.
18. Erie Street, Monroe Street (State Rt. 51): Repairs and resurfacing cause varying lane closings on Erie between Monroe and Cherry streets, while Monroe is closed for reconstruction between Erie and Michigan streets. Use Michigan or 14th to reach I-75 entrance ramps.
19. Collingwood Boulevard: Bridge reconstruction closes the street at I-75, between Dorr and Monroe, until Sept. 8.
20. Summit Street: Reconstruction of the Ottawa River bridge reduces traffic to one lane in each direction.
21. Ottawa River Road: Sewer construction will close the road at 117th Street starting at 9 a.m. Monday. Traffic will be blocked at 290th and 118th streets. A posted detour will follow Suder, Manhattan, and Summit until work concludes on Friday. Auto traffic may use 116th Street as an alternate route.
OFF THE MAP
I-75: Nighttime resurfacing requires lane closings from State Rt. 81 on the north side of Lima to the Allen-Auglaize county line through next week.
I-75/State Rt. 18: The Route 18 bridge over I-75 east of North Baltimore is closed for reconstruction until mid-August. Nighttime lane closings are scheduled next week on I-75.
U.S. 6/20: Repaving of the Fremont bypass causes daily lane closings. Delays are possible.
U.S. 23: Resurfacing restricts traffic to one lane in each direction between state Rts. 182 and 199 near Upper Sandusky.
Contact the Road Warrior at:
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.