The Blade's Road Warrior tells readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He will tell you which spots to avoid and what detours to take.
Unhappy with the way the lane stripes painted on freshly repaved Erie Street jog at Jefferson Avenue and again at Jackson Street? So is the Road Warrior, and the city says something will be done about it as soon as it's warm and dry enough to put down permanent markings.
The permanent markings, made of durable thermoplastic material, will have gentler transitions at the two intersections where the start and stop of the bus lane require the other lanes to shift, said Hussein Abounaaj, Toledo's commissioner of engineering services. But applying those markings requires 24 hours of dry weather and sustained temperatures above 50 degrees.
Early weather forecasts that predicted suitable conditions by Wednesday turned out to be inaccurate. Gene Kelly, a transportation division spokesman, said yesterday that the permanent markings will be applied on the first possible day.
If necessary, Mr. Abounaaj said, short dashes will be added through the two intersections to call motorists' attention to the lane shifts.
1. I-280: Bridge construction at the Maumee River will close southbound I-280 in North Toledo and East Toledo starting at 6:30 a.m. tomorrow. Detour via I-75 and State Rt. 795. The freeway will reopen to local traffic a week later, but remain closed to through-traffic until Dec. 8. The northbound lanes remain open until Nov. 6.
The I-280 northbound exit and southbound entrance at Greenbelt Parkway are closed until the new bridge opens. Ash and Huron streets are closed at the freeway.
2. Ohio Turnpike: Resurfacing restricts traffic to one lane in each direction between the State Rt. 2 and U.S. 20 interchanges. Expect delays during peak travel times. Westbound motorists headed to South Toledo or Maumee should consider exiting at I-75 and using I-475/U.S. 23.
3. U.S. 23: Maintenance of traffic sensors in the pavement to measure speed and traffic counts will require lane closings on the northbound side north of Monroe Street from 7 p.m. Sunday until 6 a.m. Monday.
4. Phillips Avenue, U.S. 24 (Detroit Avenue): Bridge reconstruction closes Phillips between I-75 and U.S. 24 until Nov. 15; use the Stickney-Lagrange or Berdan ramps instead of Phillips. All lanes on the Detroit bridge over the Ottawa River are scheduled to reopen on Monday.
5. State Rt. 64: Repairs and painting require midday and nighttime flag zones on the Waterville Bridge through Nov. 5. Both lanes will be open from 6 to 9 a.m. and from 3 to 7 p.m.
6. State Rt. 64: Widening requires lane closings and flag zones on East Wooster Street between I-75 and downtown Bowling Green.
7. Erie, Monroe (State Rt. 51), Summit streets: Monroe is closed for reconstruction between Huron and Summit streets. Summit is reduced to one lane each way between Washington and Adams streets. Be alert for delays and rough pavement on Summit at Monroe.
Resurfacing on Erie between Monroe and Cherry streets is nearly complete, but pavement markings and manhole cover adjustments will require scattered lane closings.
8. U.S. 6: Culvert replacement projects close the route to through-traffic between U.S. 23 and State Rt. 53 in Sandusky County until Nov. 6. Detour via U.S. 23 and U.S. 20.
9. Byrne Road: Street and bridge reconstruction restrict traffic to one lane in each direction between Glendale Avenue and Airport Highway through November. Delays are likely. Use Detroit Avenue or Eastgate Road instead.
10. State Rt. 582: Intersection work closes the route on the east side of the State Rt. 25 intersection until Nov. 5.
11. U.S. 20/State Rt. 120 (Central Avenue): Resurfacing requires varying lane closings between I-475 and Percentum Road in Sylvania Township. On Tuesday, McCord Road is scheduled to be closed in both directions at Central. Detour via King Road.
12. State Rt. 246 (Dorr Street): A reconstruction project restricts traffic to westbound only between Upton and Westwood avenues until mid-December. Eastbound traffic is detoured via Westwood, Nebraska, and Detroit avenues. All side streets on the south side of Dorr within the work area are closed except for Kury, Waverly, and Upton avenues and Parkside Boulevard.
13. U.S. 24: The rebuilt bridge over Halfway Creek, near the Ohio-Michigan border, is scheduled to open Monday. Detour via Alexis Road, M-125, and Sterns Road until then.
14. Martin Luther King, Jr. Bridge: Work associated with bridge renovation requires eastbound lane closings between 6:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
15. State Rt. 2: Intersection reconstruction at State Rts. 579 and 19 requires occasional flag zones on Route 2. Starting Wednesday, Route 19 will be closed at Route 2 for 30 days, with through-traffic detoured via State Rt. 590.
16. Holland-Sylvania Road: A bridge replacement at Wolf Creek closes the street to through-traffic between Airport Highway and Perrysburg-Holland Road. Detour via Airport and Perrysburg-Holland. Completion is scheduled for Dec. 7.
17. State Rt. 51 (Monroe Street): Curb and sidewalk reconstruction associated with a resurfacing project requires varying lane closings between Talmadge Road and Sylvania Avenue. Use mall entrances on Talmadge or Sylvania instead of Monroe.
18. Front Street: A long-term sewer repair closes Front just north of Wheeling until Dec. 23. Trucks are detoured via Consaul Street, Corduroy Road, Otter Creek Road, and Millard Avenue. Cars may use York Street to reach Otter Creek.
19. U.S. 20-23: Work on the eastbound left-turn lane at Carronade Drive in Perrysburg Township may require occasional single-lane traffic through next week.
OFF THE MAP
U.S. 6: Replacement of five culverts closes the route between State Rts. 510 and 269 in Sandusky County until Dec. 4. Detour via Route 510, U.S. 20, and State Rts. 101 and 269.
U.S. 23: Resurfacing restricts traffic to one lane in each direction between State Rts. 182 and 199 near Upper Sandusky.
U.S. 224: Pavement reconstruction near the State Rt. 4 intersection in Attica, Ohio, will close the route to through-traffic through next week. A 12-mile posted detour will use State Rts. 67, 162, and 99.
Contact the Road Warrior at:
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.