Loading…
Thursday, July 24, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeHome
Published: Friday, 12/10/2004

Gas alarm evacuates South Toledo apartments

A 30-unit apartment complex in South Toledo was evacuated for about 90 minutes yesterday after high levels of carbon monoxide were detected in several of the apartments, fire officials said.

Fire crews were sent to Glendale Manor, 2707 Glendale Ave., about 11:50 a.m. after a carbon monoxide detector went off in one of the units.

Firefighters took carbon monoxide readings, detected high levels of the gas in several units, evacuated the tenants, and summoned Columbia Gas crews, who shut off the natural gas supply to the single-story building.

The carbon monoxide levels went back to normal in about 90 minutes, Battalion Fire Chief Brian Byrd said.

Workers for a furnace firm discovered which of the individual units' furnaces was the source of the problem and repaired it. The gas supply then was restored.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.







Poll