The Blade s Road Warrior tells readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He will tell you which spots to avoid and what detours to take.
Going to Westfield Shoppingtown Franklin Park or the surrounding commercial district from Toledo s western suburbs during the next two weeks? Allow extra time if you use the Corey Road exit from eastbound I-475 to get there.
Beginning Monday, the Corey bridge over the freeway will be closed for deck repairs. The eastbound I-475 exit and westbound I-475 entrance ramps at Corey will remain open, but traffic exiting at Corey will be forced to turn right and directed to detour via Central Avenue and Talmadge Road.
Planning to use Sylvania Avenue east from Holland-Sylvania or McCord roads may save just a little time. Travel from the mall to the Corey Road entrance onto westbound I-475 will not be affected, but patrons of Wildwood Preserve Metro park should consider using the Central Avenue interchange to get onto I-475 or U.S. 23 during the closing.
Weather permitting, Corey is scheduled to reopen April 20.
1. I-280: The work area for the Veterans Glass City Skyway project requires a 35-mph speed limit, and traffic may be halted for up to 15 minutes during midday hours between I-75 and Navarre Avenue.
The northbound exit and southbound entrance at Greenbelt Parkway remain closed, as do Ash and Huron streets at I-280.
2. U.S. 20/23, State Rt. 420: Utility work associated with upcoming interchange construction requires varying lane closings. Expect delays.
3. I-475 overpasses: Bridge deck repairs restrict traffic to one lane in each direction on Douglas Road at I-475 and close the Bowen Road bridge over the freeway. Corey Road is scheduled to close at I-475 on Monday and reopen on April 20. Bowen is scheduled to reopen on April 15. The lane closings on Douglas are to continue until May 2, and lane closings will occur on Monroe Street at I-475 for paving starting on Monday. The westbound I-475 exit to Douglas may be closed at times during midday hours.
4. Martin Luther King, Jr., Bridge: Preparatory work associated with the draw span replacement work requires varying lane closings between 6:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, except holidays. Expect delays during peak hours.
5. Jackson Street: Construction of a pedestrian tunnel to the Lucas County Courthouse closes Jackson between Erie and Michigan streets until April 22. Use Constitution Avenue or Adams Street instead.
6. Byrne Road: Bridge reconstruction and pavement work restricts traffic to one lane in each direction between Airport Highway and Arlington Avenue. Use Eastgate Road or Detroit Avenue instead.
7. State Rt. 246 (Dorr Street): A resurfacing and repair project restricts traffic to one lane each way between Douglas Road/Westwood Avenue and Smead Avenue.
8. Ohio Turnpike: Ramp resurfacing requires lane closings and flag zones on the Reynolds Road (U.S. 20) interchange ramps in Maumee.
9. Summit Street: Bridge reconstruction restricts traffic to one lane each way at the Ottawa River.
10. I-75: Bridge deck repairs restrict traffic to two lanes each way between the Ohio-Michigan border and Exit 5 near Erie, Mich., and also between LaPlaisance Road and Dixie Highway near Monroe. Delays are possible during peak travel times.
11. I-475: Bridge painting will require nighttime lane closings at Holland-Sylvania Road starting Monday evening. Work will be done between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. nightly. Completion is scheduled for May 2.
12. U.S. 20 (Central Avenue): Touch-up work on last year s widening and resurfacing project requires varying lane closings near McCord Road starting Monday. Delays are likely.
13. I-75: Pavement sweeping requires lane closings in the area of Detroit and Berdan avenues tomorrow and Sunday from 6 a.m. until 1 p.m. Expect delays, especially later in the morning.
OFF THE MAP
U.S. 6: Replacement of a culvert and a bridge closes the route to through-traffic in eastern Sandusky County until May 27. Detour via State Rts. 53 and 2.
State Rt. 2: Rehabilitation of the Edison Bridge over Sandusky Bay restricts traffic to one lane in each direction until mid-May. Expect delays, especially on weekends.
State Rt. 108: Replacement of the Perry Street Bridge in Napoleon requires a six-mile detour, via U.S. 6 and State Rt. 110, until the new bridge opens in October.
Contact the Road Warrior at:firstname.lastname@example.org 419-724-6094.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.