Loading…
Sunday, December 21, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeHome
Published: Thursday, 2/9/2006

Cable plant worker hurt by chemical explosion

A woman employee was hurt yesterday by an explosion fueled by fumes from a barrel of volatile chemicals at Connectronics Corp., 2745 Avondale Ave., authorities said.

Jackie Simon, an assembly worker at the plant that makes cable assemblies and connectors, was taken to Toledo Hospital, where officials had no information about her.

Ms. Simon was thrown eight feet while filling a milk carton with isopropyl alcohol, a chemical used to clean assembly equipment.

The chemical, stored in a 55-gallon drum, is volatile, and likely was ignited by a static charge created by improperly grounded pumping equipment, Battalion Fire Chief Ora Pettaway said.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.








Poll