The Blade s Road Warrior advises readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He ll tell you locations to avoid and detours to take.
Years in the making, a long-awaited widening project starts Monday on Airport Highway (State Rt. 2) between Byrne and Reynolds roads. As usual, the construction will make the road less pleasant to use before it gets better.
Motorists should expect significant delays in the work area between Monday and the project s scheduled completion in mid-October, 2007. Consider using Hill Avenue, South Avenue, or Glendale Avenue instead of Airport during construction.
1. I-280: Closed for bridge construction, Greenbelt Parkway to Summit Street. Through traffic detour via I-75, State Rt. 795. Reopening in August. Summit will be closed northbound at I-280 on Tuesday and Wednesday, with a detour directing motorists across the Craig Memorial Bridge to Front Street and then back to Summit.
2. I-475, U.S. 23: Bridge rehabilitation closes lanes north and east of I-475/U.S. 23 junction. Reopening in September. Bridge painting at Talmadge Road requires nighttime lane closings on I-475.
3. Byrne Road: Bridge reconstruction, road rebuilding close lanes north of Airport Highway and south of Glanzman Road. Avoid using Byrne between Dorr Street and Hill Avenue.
4. State Rt. 420: Interchange construction at U.S. 20/23 closes lanes south of Truman Road. Traffic shift on U.S. 20/23.
5. State Rt. 246 (Dorr St.), U.S. 24 (Detroit Ave.): Street reconstruction requires lane closings. Southbound Detroit is closed at Dorr through today, with all traffic forced to turn right onto westbound Dorr.
6. State Rt. 184 (Alexis Rd.), I-75: Bridge reconstruction closes lanes on Alexis near I-75 through mid-September. I-75 northbound entrance and southbound exit at Alexis are closed until May 22. Lanes may be closed at night on I-75.
7. State Rt. 582: Closed for culvert work at Liberty Hi Road until Aug. 3. Detour via State Rts. 64 and 65.
8. State Rt. 64: Closed in Whitehouse tomorrow for the Cherry Festival. Detour via State Rt. 295 and U.S. 24.
9. State Rt. 2 (Airport Highway): Widening work between Byrne and Reynolds roads requires flag zones starting Wednesday. Delays are likely.
10. State Rt. 2: Two-way traffic is maintained in a work area at the Bono curve, but look out for vehicles stopped to make turns. Several side roads are closed.
11. U.S. 24: Pedestrian overpass construction requires lane closings Monday through Friday near Jerome Road.
12. Ohio Turnpike: Bridge widening between I-280 and I-75 may require occasional lane closings.
OFF THE MAP
I-75: Single-lane closings for road and bridge repairs between Monroe and I-275. Second lane may be closed occasionally, causing long delays.
I-75: Nighttime, off-peak lane closings in Findlay for paving.
U.S. 6/20: Lanes closed on Fremont Bypass for bridge work. Reopening in June.
U.S. 20: Five culvert replacements close the road in western Williams County for two weeks, starting Monday. Detour via State Rts. 49, 107, and 576.
U.S. 223: Closed for bridge reconstruction on Adrian s west side. Detour via M-52, M-34. Use other routes if possible.
State Rt. 2: One eastbound lane is closed for work on Edison Bridge over Sandusky Bay through next week.
M-125: Closed north of Frenchtown Square Mall, Monroe, for bridge replacements. Detour via U.S. 24.
Contact the Road Warrior at: email@example.com
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.