The Blade s Road Warrior advises readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He ll tell you locations to avoid and detours to take.
Many construction schedules contain the caveat weather permitting, so it s no surprise that a few recent closings are running long sometimes significantly.
Two delays with immediate consequences occurred in North Toledo.
Two I-75 ramps at the Alexis Road interchange that closed May 8 now will stay that way through May 31 because wet conditions brought their reconstruction to a halt last week.
On Detroit Avenue, water main work north of Alexis Road that was to have ended two days ago also has been extended to May 31.
As for others, we ll keep you posted as we get updates from the various agencies in charge of the projects.
1. I-280: Closed for bridge construction, Greenbelt Parkway to Summit Street. Through traffic detour via I-75, State Rt. 795. Reopening in August.
2. I-475, U.S. 23: Bridge rehabilitation closes lanes north and east of I-475/U.S. 23 junction. Reopening in September. Bridge painting at Talmadge Road requires nighttime lane closings on I-475.
3. Byrne Road: Bridge reconstruction, road rebuilding close lanes north of Airport Highway and south of Glanzman Road. Avoid using Byrne between Dorr Street and Hill Avenue.
4. State Rt. 420: Interchange construction at U.S. 20/23 closes lanes south of Truman Road. Traffic shifts on U.S. 20/23.
5. State Rt. 246 (Dorr Street), U.S. 24 (Detroit Avenue): Intersection reconstruction requires lane closings.
6. State Rt. 184 (Alexis Rd.), I-75: Bridge reconstruction closes lanes on Alexis near I-75 through mid-September. I-75 northbound entrance and southbound exit at Alexis are closed until May 31. Lanes may be closed at night on I-75.
7. State Rt. 582: Closed for culvert work at Liberty Hi Road until Aug. 3. Detour via State Rts. 64 and 65.
8. Detroit Avenue: Water main construction closes the street between Alexis and State Line roads through May 31. Posted detour uses Lavoy, Telegraph, and Alexis roads. Vehicles under 80,000 pounds may use Benore Road instead.
9. State Rt. 2 (Airport Highway): Closed from 9 p.m. tonight until 6 a.m. Monday between Angola and Eastgate roads. Use Angola or Glendale Avenue instead. Widening work between Byrne and Reynolds roads requires flag zones at other times.
10. State Rt. 2: Two-way traffic is maintained in a work area at the Bono curve, but look out for vehicles stopped to make turns. Several side roads are closed.
11. U.S. 24: Pedestrian overpass construction requires lane closings Tuesday near Jerome Road.
12. Ohio Turnpike: Bridge widening between I-280 and I-75 may require occasional lane closings.
OFF THE MAP
I-75: Single-lane closings for road and bridge repairs between Monroe and I-275. Second lane may be closed occasionally, causing long delays.
I-75: Nighttime, off-peak lane closings in Findlay for paving.
U.S. 6/20: Lanes closed on Fremont bypass for bridge work. Reopening in June.
U.S. 20: Five culvert replacements close the road in western Williams County through next week. Detour via State Rts. 49, 107, and 576.
U.S. 223: Closed for bridge reconstruction on Adrian s west side. Detour via M-52, M-34. Use other routes if possible.
State Rt. 2: Lane closings are likely on the Edison Bridge over Sandusky Bay weekly from 8 p.m. Monday through 8 a.m. Friday.
M-125: Closed north of Frenchtown Square Mall, Monroe, for bridge replacements. Detour via U.S. 24.
Contact the Road Warrior at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.