PANDORA, Ohio A boil-water advisory remains in effect likely until midweek for residents after a fire at a local plant Friday drained the village s water supply, authorities said.
No chemicals or products from the fire entered the water system, but because fighting the blaze lowered water pressure, the advisory remains to guard against bacteria, Putnam County s public safety office said yesterday. The water will likely be tested early this week.
The village was without water for several hours Friday following the 7:45 a.m. blaze at the Pandora Manufacturing LLC plant on South Basinger Road. A chemical explosion destroyed half of the Putnam County plant. The need for water to fight the blaze drained the village s 100,000-gallon water tower and 120,000 gallons stored in underground tanks.
Fire officials yesterday continued to probe and clean up damages from the blaze, which is believed to have been caused by an electrical spark at a bottling line for brake fluid.
Nine people were hurt in the blaze six taken to area hospitals and three treated at the scene, Riley Township Fire Chief Bob McCoy said.
Employee Jim McCrate, who suffered second and third-degree burns, is in good condition at St. Rita s Mercy Medical Center. The other five have been released from area hospitals.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.