The Blade s Road Warrior advises readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He ll tell you locations to avoid and detours to take.
The I-475/U.S. 23 bridge rehabilitation project in Sylvania Township continues to be a headache, but at least it s making progress. The Ohio Department of Transportation announced yesterday that traffic will be shifted Saturday onto newly repaired lanes so that the lanes now in use can be worked on.
State officials previously said that the shift would occur in early July, so it bodes well for an on-time, or even early, completion that the shift is occurring now.
If you re headed to Owens Community College this morning, expect a backup on Oregon Road at the CSX railroad tracks even if there isn t a train there. Pavement repairs require lane closings through noon between Caple Boulevard and First Street.
1. I-280: Closed for bridge construction, Greenbelt Parkway to Summit Street. Through traffic detour via I-75, State Rt. 795. Reopening scheduled for August. Summit is reduced to one lane each way, and there is limited ramp access between I-280 and Summit.
2. I-475, U.S. 23: Bridge rehabilitation closes lanes north and east of I-475/U.S. 23 junction. Reopening in September. Bridge painting at Talmadge Road requires nighttime lane closings on I-475 through next week.
3. Byrne Road: Bridge reconstruction, road rebuilding close lanes north of Airport Highway and south of Glanzman Road. Avoid using Byrne between Dorr Street and Hill Avenue, which will be down to one lane of traffic in each direction through mid-August.
4. State Rt. 420: Interchange construction at U.S. 20/23 closes lanes south of Truman Road. Traffic shifts on U.S. 20/23.
5. State Rt. 25: Closed at I-475/U.S. 23 starting Monday for bridge rehabilitation. All interchange ramps remain open. Detours posted for cross-freeway traffic.
6. State Rt. 184 (Alexis Rd.), I-75: Bridge reconstruction closes lanes on Alexis near I-75 through mid-September. Lanes may be closed at night on I-75.
7. State Rt. 582: Closed for culvert work at Liberty Hi Road until Aug. 10. Detour via State Rts. 64 and 65.
8. Monroe Street: A repaving project requires lane closings west of U.S. 23 in downtown Sylvania.
9. State Rt. 2 (Airport Highway): Widening work between Byrne and Reynolds roads requires flag zones. Use South Avenue or Glendale Avenue instead.
10. State Rt. 2: Two-way traffic is maintained in a work area at the Bono curve, but look out for vehicles stopped to make turns. Several side roads are closed.
11. Ohio Turnpike: Bridge widening between I-280 and I-75 may require occasional lane closings.
12. State Rt. 51 (Monroe Street): Reconstruction requires lane closings between Collingwood Boulevard and Detroit Avenue (U.S. 24).
13. State Rt. 795: Crack sealing requires varying nighttime lane closings between Luckey and Lime City roads through June 30.
OFF THE MAP
I-75: Single-lane closings for road and bridge repairs between Monroe and I-275. Second lane may be closed occasionally, causing long delays.
I-75: Resurfacing requires nighttime lane closings through Findlay until mid-July.
I-275: Maintenance work requires varying lane closings between I-275 and the Monroe-Wayne county line.
U.S. 6/20: Lanes closed on Fremont bypass east of State Rt. 412 for culvert work.
U.S. 223: Closed for bridge reconstruction on Adrian s west side. Detour via M-52, M-34. Use other routes if possible.
State Rt. 2: Lane closings are likely on the Edison Bridge over Sandusky Bay weekly from 8 p.m. Monday through 8 a.m. Friday.
M-125: Closed north of Frenchtown Square Mall, Monroe, for bridge replacements. Detour via U.S. 24.
Contact the Road Warrior at: firstname.lastname@example.org