The Blade s Road Warrior advises readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He ll tell you the locations to avoid and the detours to take.
Watch out for nighttime lane closings on I-75 at Alexis Road next week. On Monday night, two of three northbound lanes will be closed after 10 p.m., while on Wednesday night, two southbound lanes will be closed after 10 p.m. for overhead bridge demolition.
Single-lane closings are planned after 6 p.m. Monday through Wednesday nights, and the entire schedule could be shifted because of weather.
Starting Sunday morning, parts of Monroe and St. Clair streets near Fifth Third Field will be closed for All-Star Week events. Monroe, which will be closed between Summit and Huron streets, will have the main impact on commuters until it reopens at 7 a.m. Thursday. The Anthony Wayne Bridge will be closed from 2 p.m. until midnight on Tuesday.
And don t forget that Lagrange Street near Central Avenue and several neighboring side streets will be closed this weekend for the Lagrange Polish Festival. The closings begin at 9 a.m. today.
1. I-280: Closed for bridge construction, Greenbelt Parkway to Summit Street. Through traffic detour via I-75, State Rt. 795. Reopening scheduled for August. Summit is reduced to one lane each way, and there is limited ramp access between I-280 and Summit.
2. I-475, U.S. 23: Bridge rehabilitation closes lanes north and east of I-475/U.S. 23 junction. Reopening in September. Bridge painting at Talmadge Road requires nighttime lane closings on I-475 through next week.
3. Byrne Road: Bridge reconstruction, road rebuilding close lanes north of Airport Highway and south of Tedrow Road. Avoid using Byrne between Dorr Street and Hill Avenue in particular.
4. State Rt. 420: Interchange construction at U.S. 20/23 closes lanes south of Truman Road. Traffic shifts on U.S. 20/23.
5. State Rt. 25: Closed at I-475/U.S. 23 for bridge rehabilitation. All interchange ramps remain open, but cross-freeway traffic must detour.
6. State Rt. 184 (Alexis Rd.), I-75: Bridge reconstruction closes lanes on Alexis near I-75 through mid-September. Lanes closed at night on I-75.
7. State Rt. 582: Closed for culvert work at Liberty Hi Road until Aug. 10. Detour via State Rts. 64 and 65.
8. Monroe Street: A repaving project requires lane closings west of U.S. 23 in downtown Sylvania.
9. State Rt. 2 (Airport Highway): Widening work between Byrne and Reynolds roads requires flag zones. Use South Avenue or Glendale Avenue.
10. State Rt. 2: Two-way traffic is maintained in a work area at the Bono curve, but watch out for vehicles stopped to make turns. Several side roads are closed.
11. Ohio Turnpike: Bridge widening between I-280 and I-75 may require occasional lane closings. Glenwood and Cummings roads and East Broadway are closed at the turnpike.
12. State Rt. 51 (Monroe Street): Reconstruction requires lane closings between Colling wood Boulevard and Detroit Avenue (U.S. 24).
13. State Rt. 795: A pavement maintenance program requiring nighttime lane closings between Luckey and Lime City roads ends tonight.
14. U.S. 20/23: Turn-lane construction at a quarry entrance between Glenwood and Oregon roads requires occasional flag zones.
OFF THE MAP
I-75: Single-lane closings for road and bridge repairs between Monroe and I-275.
I-75: Resurfacing requires nighttime lane closings through Findlay until late July.
I-275: Resurfacing requires varying lane closings between I-275 and the Monroe-Wayne county line.
U.S. 6/20: Lanes closed on Fremont bypass east of State Rt. 412 for culvert work.
U.S. 223: Closed for bridge reconstruction on Adrian s west side. Detour via M-52, M-34. Use other routes if possible.
State Rt. 2: Lane closings are likely on the Edison Bridge over Sandusky Bay weekly from 8 p.m. Monday through 8 a.m. Friday.
M-125: Closed north of Frenchtown Square Mall, Monroe, for bridge replacements. Detour via U.S. 24.
Contact the Road Warrior at: email@example.com
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.