The Blade's Road Warrior advises readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He'll tell you the locations to avoid and the detours to take.
Avoid I-75 in southern Monroe County tomorrow and early Sunday. From 6 a.m. tomorrow through 6 a.m. Sunday, two of three lanes will be closed in each direction between Luna Pier (Exit 6) and LaPlaisance Road (Exit 11) for pavement patching. Long traffic delays are likely, with backups possibly extending several miles. Use Dixie Highway (M-125) or Telegraph Road (U.S. 24) instead.
In East Toledo, Main Street will be closed at the "River East" overpass this weekend while that overpass is taken down. The closing west of Front Street starts at 6 p.m. today and is scheduled to continue through 6 a.m. Monday.
Use the Craig Memorial Bridge instead of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Bridge during those hours unless you're crossing the Maumee River between downtown and International Park, the Docks, or Brenner Marine. The Anthony Wayne Bridge is not as good an alternative because of maintenance work that will close lanes during the same time period - work that was postponed from last weekend because of the Mud Hens' playoff games.
1. I-280: Closed for bridge construction, Greenbelt Parkway to Summit Street, until November. Through traffic detours via I-75, State Rt. 795.
At I-280, Front Street is restricted to one lane each way with turn restrictions. The Front entrance to southbound I-280 is closed for reconstruction until Sept. 30.
2. U.S. 23/I-475 interchange: Nighttime lane closings and daytime shoulder work continue through next week.
3. Byrne Road: Bridge reconstruction and road rebuilding closes lanes north of Airport Highway and south of Tedrow Road.
4. U.S. 20/23, State Rt. 420: Crack sealing on U.S. 20 requires a moving flag zone between Perrysburg and State Rt. 420. Interchange construction at U.S. 20/23 closes Route 420 lanes south of Truman Road. Traffic shifts on U.S. 20/23.
5. I-475/U.S. 23, State Rt. 25: Finishing work on bridge rehabilitation and shoulder work requires lane closings on the routes between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m.
6. State Rt. 184 (Alexis Road), I-75: Bridge reconstruction closes lanes on Alexis near I-75 until October. Occasional lane closings occur on I-75 at night next week.
7. Martin Luther King, Jr. Bridge, Main Street: Reduced to one lane each way for bridge rehabilitation, pavement reconstruction between Summit and Front streets. Main closed from 6 p.m. today through 6 a.m. Monday for overhead bridge removal.
8. Monroe Street: A repaving project requires lane closings west of U.S. 23 in downtown Sylvania.
9. State Rt. 2 (Airport Highway): Widening between Byrne and Reynolds roads requires flag zones. Use South or Glendale avenues instead. Eastgate Road is closed at Airport through next week, with a detour via Reynolds Road (U.S. 20). Pavement testing will require scattered lane closings on Airport west of Reynolds on Sunday only.
10. State Rt. 2: Two-way traffic is maintained in a work area at the Bono curve for road widening and addition of turn lanes.
11. Ohio Turnpike: Bridge widening between I-280 and I-75 may require lane closings. Glenwood and Cummings roads and East Broadway are closed at the turnpike.
12. State Rt. 51 (Monroe Street): Reconstruction requires lane closings between Lawrence and Detroit avenues. Lawrence is closed to through traffic between Bancroft and Monroe streets.
13. Secor Road: Pavement rehabilitation that has closed the southbound lanes between Kenwood Boulevard and Bancroft Street will switch over to the northbound lanes today. Secor will be one-way, southbound, until Oct. 6. Use Douglas Road instead.
14. Jerome Road: Pavement reconstruction requires closing between River Road and Fallen Timbers Lane in Monclova Township beginning Monday through Oct. 5.
15. U.S. 24 (Telegraph Road): Closed for bridge replacement between East Laskey and Crabb roads until Nov. 30. Detour via Crabb and East Laskey.
16. State Rt. 65 (Miami Street): Lanes closed for waterline work between Oak and Fassett streets.
I-75: Bridge repairs and pavement maintenance require lane closings north of Gibraltar, Mich., and between the Ohio-Michigan border and Rockwood, Mich. Two lanes are closed in each direction tomorrow between Luna Pier and Monroe.
U.S. 6/20: Occasional lane closings on Fremont bypass east of State Rt. 412 for culvert work until early October.
U.S. 20A/State Rt. 15: Railroad crossing repairs close the route south of Holiday City, Ohio, for five days, starting Monday. Detour via State Rts. 107 and 576 and U.S. 20.
U.S. 223: Closed for bridge reconstruction on Adrian's west side. Detour via M-52, M-34. Use other routes if possible.
U.S. 224: Culvert replacements close the route between State Rts. 186 and 235 in Hancock County. Detour via Routes 186 and 235.
State Rt. 2: The Edison Bridge over Sandusky Bay is restricted to one lane each way until May for rehabilitation and widening. Embankment repairs restrict traffic to one lane each way west of the State Rt. 163 interchange in Port Clinton.
State Rts. 2/34: A culvert replacement will close the route at Huntington Drive, on Bryan's east side, for about six weeks, starting Monday. Detour via U.S. 127 and 6 and State Rt. 191.
M-125: Closed north of Frenchtown Square Mall, Monroe, for a bridge replacement. Detour via U.S. 24.
Contact the Road Warrior at:
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.