Loading…
Thursday, December 25, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeHome
Published: Saturday, 11/18/2006

3-year-old boy dies of bacterial meningitis

A 3-year-old Rossford boy died Thursday in Toledo Children's Hospital from bacterial meningitis, authorities said.

Landan Michael Everett Harris became ill at his home at 822 Lime City Rd., Apt. A, on Wednesday and was taken to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with meningococcal meningitis, the most common form of the contagious bacterial meningitis, authorities said.

Rossford Fire Chief Jim Verbosky contacted the Wood County Health Department to report the matter.

All six paramedics who responded to the boy's home and who transported him to the hospital were given a single dose of prophylactic antibiotics as a precaution, said Mary Dennis, an epidemiologist who investigates disease outbreaks for the health department.

Ms. Dennis said about 10 other people who came into close contact with the boy within the last week also were given the antibiotic as a precaution.

"It's important for people to understand that someone who is just in the same building or in the same vicinity would not be considered a close contact," she said.

In addition, some expendable EMS equipment was discarded, and the ambulance was disinfected, the fire chief said.

Meningitis, an inflammation of the brain lining, can be caused by viruses or bacteria. Bacterial meningitis is the more dangerous of the two. Symptoms of both include fever, severe headache, stiff neck, sensitivity to bright lights, drowsiness or confusion, nausea, and vomiting.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.








Poll