Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, at the opening of a trash drop-off facility, says the text-message scandal has damaged the city's image but has not disrupted the city's daily operations.
DETROIT - As promised, Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick has gone back to tending the city's business after a week of seclusion following the release of intimate text messages exchanged with his chief aide.
After a day of meetings at City Hall on Thursday, Mr. Kilpatrick attended a ribbon-cutting ceremony yesterday and answered questions about the scandal and perjury investigation by a prosecutor.
Mr. Kilpatrick acknowledged in a public appearance yesterday that events surrounding the scandal have hurt the city's image but said they have not interfered with its daily operations.
It was the first time he has taken questions from the media since the scandal broke last week.
"The events of the last week have had an incredible impact on the city, and I believe in a negative way, from the large amounts of press, national press," Mr. Kilpatrick said.
The Wayne County Prosecutor's Office is investigating whether Mr. Kilpatrick and Chief of Staff Christine Beatty lied on the stand during a whistleblower's lawsuit last summer in which both denied having a physical relationship.
The questioning was tied to allegations that the mayor used his security guards to cover up extramarital affairs.
On Monday, Ms. Beatty announced she would resign. Her resignation is effective next Friday. "She was a great asset to our organization," Mr. Kilpatrick said. "She's going to be missed, terribly. At this particular time, it was obvious for her to have to make that decision, and we wish her well."