Loading…
Saturday, October 25, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsLocal
Published: Sunday, 6/17/2001

Police vehicle auction generates $119,400

A Toledo police auction of 87 abandoned or forfeited vehicles yielded $119,400 yesterday - one of the highest totals from such quarterly auctions in recent years, police said.

A black Mercedes Benz 600 SEL, sticker-priced at $130,000 in 1992 when it was new, went for $31,000. It had been seized during a drug raid. A 1968 metallic blue Buick Skylark convertible was the second-highest seller at $4,700. It was seized during a traffic stop.

The police department's law enforcement trust fund will get $52,200 for the auction of six forfeited vehicles. Of the remaining $67,200 for the other 81 vehicles, towing companies will get 80 percent. Auction expenses are deducted from the other 20 percent and the remainder goes to the city's general operating fund, Officer Dalton Wilkinson said.

About 400 people registered to participate in the auction at the city parking lot bounded by Constitution Avenue and Michigan and Cherry streets, the officer said.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.






Poll