Two Toledo city workers were hurt yesterday when they picked
up a trash bag that contained a chemical used to clean swimming
pools, authorities said.
Harry Hannah and Gary Shutte put the bag in their garbage
truck on Kershaw Avenue near West Sylvania Avenue about 7:55 a.m., Battalion Fire Chief Christine Davis said.
The workers were taken to St. Anne Mercy Hospital in minor
Their conditions were unavailable last night.
When the bag was compressed, liquid muriatic acid spilled into the truck and then onto the road. The city s environmental services department requested that private contractors clean up the spill.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.