Loading…
Thursday, December 18, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsLocal
Published: Wednesday, 3/30/2005

Victim's family sues over lack of smoke alarm

The family of a 16-year-old boy who died in a South Toledo house fire is suing the owner and landlord of the rental property for not equipping the home with smoke alarms.

Sheri Parks filed the suit in Lucas County Common Pleas Court on behalf of her son, Norman Wilson, who was killed Nov. 2, 2003, in a fire at 915 Atlantic Ave. His girlfriend, Michelle Wilson, also died in the blaze.

The mother and the victim's grandparents, Harrison and Ethel Files, are accusing John P. Macklenar of Bradford, Pa., the owner of the house, and Kenneth Brock, the landlord, of not installing smoke detectors on each level of the home.

Investigators believe the blaze was started by a child playing with a lighter.

Ms. Parks and the Fileses, all of 1059 Campbell St., are asking for compensatory damages in excess of $25,000, punitive damages in excess of $25,000, and attorney fees. Judge Charles Wittenberg will hear the case.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.








Poll