Loading…
Wednesday, July 30, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsLocal
Published: Tuesday, 6/10/2008

Contractor hurt after suffering electric shock at UT research lab

BLADE STAFF

A contractor working in a research lab on the campus of the University of Toledo was hurt Tuesday morning when he fell backwards after receiving an electrical shock while wiring heater ducts in a ceiling, university authorities said.

Craig McGrain, 33, the victim employed by Brint Electric Inc., was taken to Toledo Hospital, according to a UT police report. As of about 12:30 p.m., Mr. McGrain was being treated in the hospital s emergency room, a hospital spokesman said.

A Toledo fire crew and a UT police officer were dispatched about 9:10 a.m. on reports that someone had been electrocuted while working at the Research and Technology Complex, 2600 Dorr St.

Upon arrival, the officer found Mr. McGrain in the northeast dock of the building, with a tourniquet on his forearm, "conscious but a little shaken up," the police report said.

The officer then interviewed Mr. McGrain and determined that he was working in a room on the northeast side of the building when he was shocked while wiring heater ducts.

After he was shocked, Mr. McGrain "jumped back off of the ladder and his forearm was caught on a metal duct, causing a laceration to his right forearm," according to the police report.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.



Poll